Identity theft information is easily found online. The trouble isn't finding the information, it's sorting through it to know what is good advice and what isn't. This article will provide you with some basics on how to protect your identity and your financial future.
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime today. Millions of people are affected every year and billions of dollars are lost to fraudulent activity. It's more important than ever for all of us to be diligent. If your identity is stolen it doesn't just affect you, it affects all of us since the companies pass on those lost dollars to all of us in the form of higher fees.
Identity Theft Information
Take this identity theft information and use it to protect yourself as well as help keep costs down for all of us:
1. Don't give out your personal information. It's easy to get caught off guard when some quick talking person calls you on the phone and says there is a problem with your account, could you please verify your information? But stop and think, if the bank, credit card company or utility company is calling you, than why would they need your information? They are calling you, don't they already have your information? Yes, they do. It's most likely a scam, hang up and call the company yourself.
2. Shred your documents. It only takes a minute and you may be surprised to learn how much damage can be done with some simple information. Better to be safe than sorry.
3. Don't carry your social security card with you. Also don't put your drivers license number on your checks. With your birth date and your drivers license number a thief can do a lot of damage. Don't make it easy for them, keep your information to yourself.
4. You get to check each of the three credit bureaus every year, for free. Do it. Take full advantage and if you see something that looks wrong, contact the credit bureau right away.
5. It's a hassle, I know, but look over your credit card and bank statements thoroughly every month. Finding a mistake can be a sign that someone is using your identity.
6. Keep your computer protected. Keep all your anti virus and anti spyware up to date and run scans frequently. Keep firewalls active all the time.
7. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that you can click on a link in an email and that you will be at the site of your bank, or credit card company and start filling in personal information. There are ways of masking the website address and making it appear you are on a different site.
So you may be thinking that you are on the site for your bank when in actuality you are on the site of scammers and they are gathering all your personal information. Don't click links, instead type the address in yourself.
Top ID Theft Protection Companies
IdentityForce, a Sontiq brand, provides top-rated identity theft protection solutions and services with comprehensive protection plans for consumers and businesses.Here are some key factors that differentiate our service from others in the industry:
Data breached are a reality - protect yourself and your loved ones with IdentityForce
ReliaShield is a comprehensive identity theft protection service based in Nashville, Tennessee. In addition to monitoring your accounts, every plan includes $1,000,000 in stolen funds and expense reimbursement and full-service restoration if you become a victim. ReliaShield is the smart, affordable solution to Identity Theft Protection.
LifeLock is a leader in identity theft protection.Members can rest easier knowing that we're working to help protect them from identity theft. Our development team works tirelessly creating new tools to help consumers safeguard their finances and good names.
Identity Guard partnered with IBM Watson to bring identity protection into the 21st century. The massive proliferation of personal data online has made today’s consumer more susceptible than ever to data breaches, account hacks, and identity theft. By applying Watson and predictive analytics to mine data, evaluate risk, and generate customized guidance for consumers, Identity Guard has created state-of-the-art identity theft protection. Identity Guard